Saturday 23 April 2016

Rimmel ScandalEyes Mascara retro Glam

I have been using Benefit’s They’re Real mascara for a while and really rated it but when I received this mascara in a Glossybox, I was excited to try it out. I used to use Rimmel mascaras when I was in my teens and really liked them but as I got older, there were so many other brands and mascaras to try and I sort of forgot that I’d liked the Rimmel ones so much. There is also a side to me that loves retro things so a mascara that promised retro glam was always going to catch my eye.

The Mascara

Rimmel describe this mascara as:
  • The 60s are back full swing with a thicker, fuller, wide-eyed look!
  • A wide-eyed false lash look, fanned out volume with NO clumps!
  • Lashes Up, out and over the top

As far as I am aware, this mascara is only available in one colour and that is Extreme Black which is okay for me as I normally use a black mascara anyway and
if I want something different, I started with a black base and add a blue mascara on top for example.

This mascara has a use by date of 12 months on the packaging although it is recommended that you change your mascara every six months even if you haven't used it all. To be honest, I have probably been using this mascara slightly longer than 6 months and I haven't had any issues with the mascara drying out or clumping.

My Thoughts

This is a very chunky mascara and is bigger than most mascaras that I have used in the past. The black and white colour scheme fits in with my idea of the monochrome trends of the 60's that this mascara is supposed to emulate. Once you unscrew the lid, you can see the long wand which is an hourglass shape which is quite unique. There are a number of different length bristles on the brush and it seems to be made of a very soft plastic which don't hurt or scratch when you apply the mascara.

Compared to most other mascaras I have used, the brush and the applicator wand on this mascara is about twice the size of the ones that I am used to. I did wonder how effective this would be in giving my lashes the effects that it claimed but I had high hopes. While it did take a couple of attempts for me to get used to the brush but now that I have used the mascara for a few weeks, I actually like the brush and think it makes applying my mascara easier. The large brush does seem to make it easier to cover all my lashes including the smaller ones that my usual mascara misses. I find that one sweep of the wand is enough to coat most, if not all, of my lashes and I am satisfied with just one coat of the mascara. The differing bristle shape and sizes seem to leave each lash coated with some mascara, although I don't tend to be one of those people who apply mascara to the very corners of their eyelashes or lower eyes though.

To be fair, I have quite naturally long and slightly curly eyelashes anyway so I just want to use a mascara that makes the most of what I do have and that leaves my lashes looking their best as I like to draw attention to my eyes when I wear makeup as I feel that they are one of my best features. Therefore, a mascara that has a slight curling effect, that leaves my lashes looking bolder and defined and something that still looks quite natural is what I look for with my mascaras. Having used so many that only seem to either lengthen, curl or define my eyes, I was pleasantly surprised with the effects of this mascara. It left my eyelashes looking bolder, thicker and more defined and I only needed to use one coat to get the result I was looking for – although adding another coat did give a more dramatic effect as well. I didn't get the spider's leg effect that I can get with some mascaras, this just helped enhance what I have. While I wouldn't describe this as a false lash effect, I don't think that any mascara out there will ever have that effect so I take those claims with a pinch of salt.

I don’t have many complaints about this mascara but one little niggle is that it does seem to take a few seconds to dry and I do occasionally find that I have to remove some of the mascara from around my eyes when I have blinked before the mascara is properly dried. I did find that it clumped slightly the first few times I used this mascara but now that I am used to it, this hasn’t happened. I find that if I try to apply more than 2 or three coat though this does seem to get slightly clumpy on my lashes but considering the bold effect that I get with only one coat, I find that this is usually all that I need and if I want something more dramatic, I normally use a coloured mascara on top of this one. To be fair though, I only normally use mascara on my upper lashes rather than the smaller lashes underneath my eyes as I normally just use some eyeliner to define my lower lashes and this brush because of the chunkiness could make applying this to smaller lashes more difficult but this isn't an issue for me.

I have quite sensitive eyes and can find that some makeup can irritate them, and have had to stop using some mascaras in the past as I felt that they were more of an irritant than a help but I have had no issues with this mascara.

While this mascara isn't waterproof, I find that it does seem to last a full day without flaking off or leaving the area under my eyes like I have taken makeup tips from Alice Cooper. I also have found that to remove this, while it can take a few wipes to remove all traces of the mascara, I find that this is the case with most mascaras and I would rather have something that holds from morning to night and still look good than something that I might have to reapply throughout the day that is easier to remove.

Price and Availability

I have had mine for a while as I got it in a beauty box around 2 years ago and while checking online it appears that this mascara has been discontinued but you can buy this mascara from Amazon where it will cost around £4 which I think is fantastic price considering even budget brand mascaras cost around £4 if you are purchasing them from places like Boots.

Ingredients

Aqua/water/eau, paraffin, glyceryl stearate, copernicia cerifera cera/ copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax/cire de carnauba, pvp, cera alba/beeswax/cire d’abeille, propylene glycol, tribehenin, polysorbate 20, stearic acid, acrylates copolymer, panthenol, caprylyl glycol, hydroxyethylcellulose, tocopheryl acetate, sodium hydroxide, talc, acrylates/ carbamate copolymer, ascorbyl glucoside, gossypium herbaceum (cotton) powder, serica /silk powder/poudre de soie, retinyl palmitate, hydrogenated vegetable oil, glycerin, collagen, hydrogenated olive oil, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, hydrolyzed keratin, prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel oil, sodium sulfate, ceramide 2, olea europaea (olive) oil unsaponifiables, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, bambusa arundinacea leaf extract, sodium benzoate, tocopherol. 

(please note that parts of this review may appear elsewhere) 

No comments:

Post a Comment